Monday 18 March 2013

131/111 - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green




I bought this book a little while ago when it was still in hardback, and I have to admit that I was most interested by all the rave reviews I heard about it. Knowing that it was a young adult novel put me off a bit, but mostly because I don't usually find them meaty enough in terms of how sordid or gritty they are. Sure, this is about a girl who has cancer, which is pretty gritty I guess, however she is also very pure and thinks she isn't pretty and OMG how could this cute guy ever like little old me? That's something I really dislike about female characters in young adult fiction. The overly modest personalities, always putting themselves down. Yuck.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the book a lot and I was gripped and pretty much read the entire thing in one sitting, however I did feel very much like the characters were one-dimensional, and if there was mother dimension to someone, it felt very artificial.

Lovely and sad all round, and quite sweet in places.

No comments:

Post a Comment