Saturday 2 March 2013

129/111 - How Should A Person Be? by Sheila Heti




I bought this book very recently also, mostly based on reviews that I had read talking about how awesome it is. It's supposed to be quirky and cool and touching and funny. I've just finished reading 70 out of 290 pages and I feel like the book hasn't even really started yet and I'm not sure what I'm waiting for.

I feel like there is some American fiction that I just don't get. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, or if sometimes it comes across like the book is trying too hard to be something in particular, or too conceptual, or something, but that something really turns me off.

I really wanted to like this as there were loads of pull quotes from people like Miranda July and Margaret Atwood, who I really like, but after 70 pages, I couldn't make it work.

I was sadly bored by this, so I'll be returning it as I only bought it earlier this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment