Sunday 3 March 2013

130/111 - The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick




I started reading this after downloading the sample on my iPad and going from there. I initially thought that this might annoy me as it's written in a very simplistic style, but I actually ended up quite liking it and it worked pretty well in the end.

This is the story of Pat, who has recently been released from a manual health institution and he's become obsessed with improving himself so that he can once more become worthy of his wife Nikki's love. He spends his days working out, running and thinking about Nikki. He is soon introduced to Tiffany, who is the sister of his sister-in-law or something similar, and they end up having an odd sort of friendship where she goes out on runs with him following about 15 paces behind but rarely speaking to him.

In the end it turns out that she's been scouting him to take part in a Dance Away Depression contest that she's been entering for the last couple of years, under the guise that she will help him to make contact with Nikki once more. As it turns out, Tiffany is also pretty screwed up and has spent some time in hospital and is only pretending to be Nikki. All along you get the feeling that Pat has deliberately been suppressing the memory of how his relationship with Nikki really ended, and the outcome isn't that surprising when you find out what it is.

I liked this, overall. Quirky and very human, and although the characters are sometimes frustrating I ended up rooting for them. I know they've also recently made this into a film, so I'd be interested to see what it's like.

No comments:

Post a Comment