Friday 6 December 2013

162/111 - Driven by James Sallis




I read this quite a while ago now so I don't have much to say about it as I've forgotten pretty much everything. I had no idea that James Sallis has written a sequel to Drive, or that it was called Driven, however I really enjoyed Drive so decided to buy this to read.

I didn't enjoy this as much as I enjoyed Drive, I felt like for a lot of the book I was sort of waiting for it to get started, and it never really felt like it got off the ground. In this book, it's six years later and Driver has his own life now, only suddenly one day someone starts trying to kill him again, so he has to go back underground and become his old self. He spends loads of the book moving from place to place, doing up old cars and killing people that are out to get him. The other characters are all pretty much interchangeable and not particularly interesting. The main thing driving the plot (so sorry for the pun) is Driver trying to discover who is out to kill him.

You may remember the character Blanche from the book/film who has a very minor role and ends up getting killed during a heist that goes a bit wrong. It turns out that her father is pretty sore about the whole thing, and thinks that Driver is the one that killed her. He has basically no evidence to prove this, so decides to send goon after goon to try and kill Driver. I think at the end they have a conversation where Driver says something like, "Dude, I didn't kill your daughter" and the father says "Okay, cool" and then everything is fine . I'm not sure, I can't really remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment