Sunday 14 October 2012

Reaching 111

So reading 111 books over the last 20 months has been an interesting experiment. I've had months where I've read prolifically, and months where I didn't read anything. The most books I read in a month was March 2011 with 17 books. However I read nothing in July, November or December 2011.

I have bought countless more books since I started my project, and my list of books now looks almost nothing like the list I work from currently. When I first started out, I had planned to buy no more books until I read the ones I had, which didn't happen. My weakness for new books and my desire to read things RIGHT NOW stopped me from being able to do that.

I think now I'll list my favourites from the last 111 books:
4/111 - I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
12/111 - The Diving-Bell and Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
27/111 - Light Boxes by Shane Jones
33/111 - Northline by Willy Vlautin
36/111 - Player One by Douglas Coupland
38/111 - A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
41/111 - World War Z by Max Brooks
42/111 - Grow Up by Ben Brooks
47/111 - Sarah by JT Leroy
52/111 - 11.22.63 by Stephen King
58/111 - The Eyre Affair (and the others) by Jasper Fforde
78/111 - Drive by James Sallis
81/111 - The Men Who Stare At Goats by Jon Ronson
94/111 - The Guardians by Sarah Manguso
101/111 - Locke and Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez
104/111 - The Sex Myth by Dr Brooke Magnanti
106/111 - Horns by Joe Hill

So I guess I'm done!

I will be continuing with this in much the same fashion as before, continuing to write about the books I have read. I have very much enjoyed recording what I have been reading, and I'm glad to be back in full swing again after many months of feeling unable to read because I wasn't enjoying working in publishing. I'm glad to have left all that behind me now.

As for what I'm reading next, I haven't decided yet. However I have a feeling that a lot of my next few months will be spent doing some re-reading. I really want to re-read the His Dark Materials books by Phillip Pullman, and I'd also like to re-read the Dark Tower series at some point, including The Wind Through The Keyhole.

The last few months have been taken up by reading a larger-than-average portion of non-fiction material, however that's fine by me for the moment. We'll see how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment