Monday 29 October 2012

13/111 - The Wisdom of Psychopaths by Kevin Dutton





I bought this book very recently because I fancied it. After reading The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, which was really interesting, wanted to see if this would shed some more light on an intriguing topic.

I really wanted to like this because I find the topic really interesting, but I found it quite meandering and unfocused. The idea of the book is that Kevin proposes that his dad was a psychopath, and examines the condition and potential uses it might have as a positive trait. However I found it all a bit wishy-washy. I was most interested in the things like the research and the studies, and Kevin's own experiences interviewing psychopaths, but there wasn't enough of it and a little too much filler. The passage in which he has his brain manipulated in order to feel more like a psychopath was great, but glossed over too quickly in my opinion.

I think I might be judging this very harshly because I enjoyed Jon Ronson's book so much. It wasn't that I didn't like this, it's more that I wanted something a little more titillating, I guess.

Next: not sure yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment