Sunday 24 June 2012

Interlude: A bunch of Feminist Magazines

I've always been pretty interested in Feminism, however I made it one of my resolutions to get more involved in it and continue learning more about it. So, I decided to subscribe to some feminist magazines to open up my horizons. I have since subscribed to Bust, Bitch and Ms. magazines.

I had saved up a bunch of issues to take with me on holiday to read by the pool, and they were pretty enjoyable.

Bitch - this was my favourite out of the magazines, not least because my friends were impressed by the boldness of the title. I even got some of the men reading it, although I'm not sure it was for the right reasons. I think they were a little surprised by the frankness of some of the articles, but it was all pretty good. I really enjoyed the design of the magazine, and I also really liked the range of the articles. Some of them were short and punchy, and there were also longer, more investigative pieces which were also really interesting, and a lot of them covered issues I'd never really thought about before. I'll definitely carry on with this one.

Bust - this was pretty feminist-y, but I guess this was the most mainstream of all the magazines. However, still really enjoyable and it's amazing how refreshing it is to read a magazine that doesn't have shitloads of dieting tips, or advice on how to 'please your man'.

Ms. - this was the most serious of the magazines, and I haven't quite finished reading all the articles yet. Again, it has some really interesting stuff in. However, this magazine is quarterly rather than monthly, and then by the time it actually reaches me from the US, a lot of the issues are things I've already read about. It is also aimed quite heavily at US readers and has a lot of local US issues. I haven't finished reading them yet, so I'll hold off on that conclusion for now.

It's a little sad that you have to go so far out of your way to find something inoffensive for women's magazines, but I'm glad that publications like this exist and I'm happy to subscribe to these so that I have something to read that isn't going to make me feel terrible about myself. I love when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment