Sunday 24 June 2012

92/111 - Out of the Ordinary - Jon Ronson

I bought this to take with me on holiday because it was just the sort of light-hearted reading I needed. I really enjoyed The Men Who Stare At Goats and The Psychopath Test, and this was pretty different, but still good.

This book is complied of various columns that Jon has written for various newspapers over the years. The first part of the book is dedicated to what look like diary entries relating mostly to his relationship with his son and his wife. It may have been the wine talking, but I found these really funny. There were some that were really endearing, and others that exposed how neurotic Jon Ronson is (but in a really relatable way, not meant negatively at all). Very funny.

I was reading a couple of reviews of this book and some people had described him as a poor man's Louis Theroux, which I don't think is very fair. I really like Louis Theroux, but I don't think that one is better than the other, I like them both. I also haven't read much of Louis' stuff, mostly only seen him on-screen, whereas I've read but not seen any of Jon's stuff. So yeah, I thought that comparison was a little bit unfair.

Anyway, I really liked it, and it was the only book out of the four I took with me on holiday that I actually finished. I'll definitely be reading the rest of Jon Ronson's at some point.

Next: J-Pod by Douglas Coupland

No comments:

Post a Comment