Sunday 7 July 2013

145/111 - Confessions of a Sociopath by M.E. Thomas




I bought this on the recommendation of Bust magazine after reading a short review when I was on holiday. I'm quite interested in the mind and mental conditions so I thought I'd give this a try and see what the author has to say.

This is an anonymous autobiography written by a woman who runs a blog called sociopath world. From what I gather, she started this blog off as a way to connect to other sociopaths and find out more about herself, and the book is an extension of that I guess. She talks about different areas of her life, her diagnosis, her childhood etc, and I was hoping that this might actually be quite interesting.

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it much. I found it to be fairly average writing, and it reads like a stream of consciousness and doesn't seem to be that strongly structured. I read one review which asked is it any surprise that a book written by a supposed sociopath lacks depth or emotion? Hilarious!

I was left feeling unconvinced of the authenticity of this account - there were many times when the author held back regarding events which would have somehow proven the sociopathic aspects of her personality, which was irritating. Lots of annoyingly coy references to things she may or may not have done. She uses the guise of protecting her family in order to keep their reputation safe, however I was left feeling really unsatisfied.

I could write more about this, but I'm done. Totally bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment