Tuesday 22 May 2012

84/111 - Wasted by Marya Hornbacher


I’ve had this book a little while now and I bought it primarily after reading a quote from it, which was: We turn skeletons into goddesses and look to them as if they might teach us how not to need. and it seemed really powerful to me. The book is a memoir of Marya’s life up until now as she lives with a chronic eating disorder.

It took me quite a long time to read this, as I didn’t find it as compelling as I’d hoped I would. For a fairly long period I felt as if I was waiting for the book or the real story to start, and I never really felt as though it got off the ground.

It was really well written and very moving in parts, but overall I found myself skimming over bits in order to reach the end. It’s all pretty devastating stuff, but there’s something about memoirs of this sort that make me shy away from them a little, because they are so voyeuristic and I feel intrusive reading them. Although if Marya had been fictional, I probably wouldn’t have felt the same way.

Next: Firmin by Sam Savage

No comments:

Post a Comment