Wednesday 11 January 2012

54/111 - Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King

This is another book I received from Luke, and it's appearing here in such quick succession because it was also a very short read, so good to feel like there's some momentum going here, I think!

I also wanted to read this because it's by Stephen King. What I'd really love to do is make some sort of master list of his work and see what I've read and what I haven't. As I've mentioned before, I've read pretty much all of his novels, save a few I didn't really like much, and I've also read a lot of his short stories, which I love, however I know there must be a lot more I haven't read. So a good list that I could use to check off what I have and haven't read would be cool.

Cycle of the Werewolf is part graphic novel and part short story. Each cycle takes place in a different month, and usually tells the tale of how a different person from Tarkers Mills has come to their untimely end at the hands of a werewolf.

At first, there doesn't appear to be a main or central character, but eventually Marty, a paraplegic 9-year-old, becomes the hero of the tale after a close encounter with the beast and some fireworks.

Apparently the illustrations were originally supposed to appear in a calendar with a short vignette by Stephen King accompanying each month (never mind that there are 13 lunar cycles in a year...) however according to Wikipedia, King wanted to be able to write more and so released Cycle as a novella.

I'm not sure how I felt about this story - I liked it, however I wish it had been more detailed and more in depth, and it kind of felt like if he had bothered to go so far as to release this as a novel, why not beef it out a little?

Next: It Chooses You by Miranda July

No comments:

Post a Comment