Tuesday 31 July 2012

97/111 - What I Do by Jon Ronson

I have enjoyed Jon Ronson's books so much that I finally bought the last one that I hadn't read to take on holiday with me to Barcelona. Again, it was hilarious. I can't believe I didn't know about him sooner, I enjoyed it so so much. I was reading by a swimming pool and giggling to myself madly.

It's quite similar in format to the last book in that the first half contains a series of Jon's columns outlining the blunders of his daily life. He is absolutely amazing at articulating that annoying and maddeningly neurotic little voice in your head that chatters non-stop. The voice that thinks things that you would never speak out loud to anyone. I really feel like the way he sees himself is quite similar to the way I see myself, I'm constantly looking back on incidents of my life and feeling like a fool, in a good-natured sort of way.

The second part of the book is a series of short essays/explorations of different institutions, some of which include the gameshow 'Deal or No Deal' and the superstitions that surround it. I also really enjoyed reading the chapter about the banking industry and they way they calculate who they will bombard with adverts for new credit cards. Very creepy and sinister stuff.

That's all for now. I really enjoyed reading this and it made me very happy. I hope he writes more books soon.

Next: The Humorist by Russell Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment