Thursday 24 March 2011

29/111 – The Adderall Diaries by Stephen Elliott


I should not have bought this book. I bought this book while I was in New York. I think it had just come out, or been released earlier that year. I met someone who had read it and liked it, and bought it based on that.

This isn’t a bad reason to buy a book. Usually it’s a great reason. But it doesn’t always work out, and this is a classic case of that thing I just said.

I probably wouldn't have bought this book if I had realised it was non-fiction. I think I assumed it was fiction, largely based on the other books by this author, which were fiction. This may have even been shelved with his fiction, as I can’t imagine picking this up from the biography section. But, clearly I'm a moron - I guess I thought the word 'memoir' on the front cover was some kind of... trick?

I’m not going to talk much about it, because I don’t have much to say. I only got to the first 100 pages before deciding that it wasn’t right for me. I feel like I must be missing out on something special here, because it’s received great reviews. It also wouldn’t be fair for me to criticise without having read the entire text.

The writing itself is good, but I didn’t like the disconnected feeling, or the narrator that much, which feels overly harsh because it’s the actual guy, but that’s how I felt. It’s not bad, it just wasn’t right for me.

Next: Black Hole by Charles Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment